Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Trying to Fly with the FlyLady

If you are a net denizen who has searched for help in getting your house whipped into shape, there's a good chance that you have ran across Marla Cilley aka "FlyLady". She encourages baby steps and routines while reminding her followers (or "flybabies") that their houses didn't fall into such chaos overnight.

I came across her several years ago, signed up for her daily emails and did what she told me to do (with a tweak here and there). It worked. But then I got seriously sidetracked. Oh, I tried signing up again but the emails just sat in my inbox mocking me as piles of clutter grew bigger so I unsubscribed and claimed defeat. Not too long ago, my daughter and I were watching one of those programs where they go into a family's home, haul out mountains of who knows what from some of the rooms and then totally redecorate and organize the rooms. My daughter turned to me and said that we needed to call the program and have them come to our house. Nuff said.

A few days ago, I found out that FlyLady was on Facebook . I could go back to baby steps without violating my new "don't you dare subscribe to another email list" rule. This week is bathroom and guest room week. We don't have a guest room but I do have an office that would rival any of those rooms on one of those cleaning shows. I had just stripped down my bathroom to the bare basics about a week ago as part of my 2+ years venture in trying to redecorate it (that's a whole other post) so I was able to jump in and throw my rugs and shower curtain liner into the wash. While they were doing their thing, I gave the floor and counter a good cleaning and hung up clean towels. It actually looks presentable. Now if I could just say the same about my office.

No comments:

Post a Comment