Thursday, May 20, 2010

Attack of the Killer Yellow Squash


If I had to grow my own food to survive, I would starve to death. I am the type of person that causes fake plants wilt when I walk past them. Fortunately, my husband's thumb is a bit on the green side. Almost every year we have attempted a garden. If the planets are aligned just so and we cross our toes, we can usually eek out a small amount of produce. This year Mars and Jupiter must have had a tiff because only half of our garden came in. However, this year we seem to have a mutant yellow (summer) squash plant that is a producing machine.

I have given some of it away and have lined up more victims...er....friends to take some off my hands. A couple of days ago I did a quick saute with some fresh herbs (the only thing I seem to be able to con into living). Last night I found a recipe at allrecipes.com. It was actually for zucchini but it also called for goat cheese, shallots, chicken broth and fresh basil - all of which I just happened to have (a very rare occurrence around here). It was very good. Next up I am thinking about a squash and potato gratin I found over at smitten kitchen (love her site but eat before going there or you'll end up raiding the kitchen).

For about the same price as a little cellophane bag of fresh herbs from the grocery store, you can buy an actual plant. Just re-pot it into something that has a drainage hole (try garage sale or thrift stores if you don't have something already). Potting soil isn't too expensive or you could see if one of your green-thumbed friends would be willing to give you a few handfuls. Fresh herbs make an amazing difference especially when paired with fresh produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment